Download Application FAQ
YESM internship provides the opportunity to ‘do’ ministry in an urban context in none other than the big apple – New York City.
Youth Explosion School of Ministry (YESM) is designed to disciple and equip students to carry out the will of God through the loins of the local church. The mission of Youth Explosion School of Ministry is to develop next generation leaders to carry on the gospel’s mission.
We will EDUCATE you
We will EQUIP you
We will EXERCISE and develop your ministry skills
We will EDUCATE you
- Attend our annual MISFIT conference (*based on cycle)
- Attend the Willow Creek Leadership Summit (*based on cycle)
- Learn from dynamic and innovative church and ministry staff
- Attend weekly Spiritual Leadership Development Classes
- Attend Weekly/Mid Week Services
- Required course readings
We will EQUIP you
- Be mentored and cared for by Christ Tabernacle staff and church family
- Receive transferable discipleship training
We will EXERCISE and develop your ministry skills
- Receive ownership of significant areas of ministry
- First hand experience in various areas of ministry (based on placement)
- Be a growing Christian who believes in the ministry of the local church
- Desire to fulfill the biblical purposes in your life and ministry
- Have prior ministry experience
- Be willing to honor a 10 month FULL TIME internship commitment
- Agree to raise personal financial support
- High School graduate or college students preferred
We receive many questions about the internship program, so this is an attempt to answer the most commonly asked questions. Feel free to contact us with any additional questions or for further clarification.
I. Do I qualify?
Who is the average applicant?
Our applicants are typically students that have recently graduated from high school/college and are looking for further training before they begin their careers in ministry. They all have had some prior experience working in ministry.
What are the minimum requirements to be considered for an internship?
We require that all applicants have a high school diploma and some prior ministry experience. Ages 18-25. However, if you feel you have a unique situation, contact us and we will discuss it.
Can international interns apply?
Yes! We encourage international applicants to apply. The only variation to the application process is that international applicants must apply for a Religious Worker’s Visa (R1) from the American Embassy in their country. This can be a lengthy process depending on the country, so we recommend international applicants apply for our internship program 9 months before their potential start date.
II. What does YESM program have to offer?
What areas of the church are internships available?
We offer internships in the following departments:
- Next Generation Ministries – children, youth, and young adults
- Women’s Ministry
- Guest Services
How long is the internship program? Is the length negotiable?
Our internship program is a 10 months commitment. We believe 10 months protects the integrity of your experience, as well as the integrity of our ministry. We want to ensure you are as prepared as possible before you go into ministry where God leads. We also want to protect our students from developing relationships with interns with a high turn around rate. We have designed our 10 months program and therefore the length of the internship is not negotiable.
What will I be doing on a daily basis?
Your daily ministry involvement depends on a number of things, particularly which ministry you're serving in and what responsibility you have within that ministry. But each intern will spend significant time on the three 'E's' (educate, equip, exercise), which includes the following:
- Working in your specific department – 35+ hours a week
- Mid Week/Weekend Services
- Spiritual Leadership Development
III. Is it financially feasible?
How much does the internship cost and when is tuition due?
Tuition is $2,000.00 per cycle of the internship. Tuition goes to pay for development resources like conferences, retreats, books, and training seminars. It is an essential piece to your internship and cannot be negotiated. Please note: Additional funds need to be raised to cover cost of living, housing, meals during internship tenure and not reflected in the tuition amount.
Does YESM give benefits to interns?
YESM currently does not offer any benefits to interns at this time.
How much support do I need to raise?
In addition to the $2,000.00, interns should raise $1,000 per month at minimum to cover their own living expenses. This may vary as different interns have different expenses (i.e student loan debt, car payment, cell phone, etc.) Keep in mind, $1,000 per month is based on an intern being single and having housing provided. Before an intern starts their internship they are required to have 100% of their support before the internship starts and have a budget turned into the Intern Pastor.
How do I raise support and when can I start?
When you have gone through your final interview and have been sent an offer letter from the church, you will be sent a “how to” packet to help you with raising support. You should begin the process of raising support immediately after you are offered the position.
Do I have to find my own housing?
Unfortunately, we do not have adequate housing options to offer at this time.
Can I work at the same time?
No. Our internship is full-time, and you will be expected to work full-time hours. However, if an "odd-job" pops up that doesn't interfere with your regular schedule that would be allowed. (This would be the exception rather than the norm).
What are the standards that interns must abide by?
YESOM has outlined standards for living above reproach for all Christ Tabernacle staff. Since interns are considered staff, they will be held to the same standards. We are required to sign a covenant including the following commitments:
Commit to refrain from activities that could cause a new believer to stumble such as: abusing prescription drugs, consuming alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs, or engaging in gambling of any type
Commit to sexual purity, and commit only to dating another believer (if single).
Commit to living above reproach: this includes completely avoiding situations that may lead to temptation, or may appear compromising.
YESM staff may not:
- Ride alone with a married person of the opposite sex.*
- Go to lunch alone with a married person of the opposite sex.*
- Kiss or show questionable affection with a married person of the opposite sex.*
- Visit anyone of the opposite sex alone at home.*
- Counsel the opposite sex alone.*
- Discuss marriage or sexual problems with the opposite sex.*
- Have a member of the opposite sex spend the night.*
* Excluding family members of the opposite sex.
IV. How do I apply?
What does the application process entail?
- Download application online or mailed to you.
- It is recommended to turn applications in 3-6 months prior to your potential start date (and 9-12 months prior if you are international).
- Your references will be checked.
- You will have a phone interview
- You will be notified whether or not we would like you to plan a visit and to continue with the application process or not.
- During your visit you will meet with the pastor of interns and YESM hire committee.
- After your visit you will be notified if we would like to advance you to the final step in the application process and that will be your final interview with our executive pastoral team.
- We will notify you if we would like to extend an offer to you at that time or not.
- If you are offered the position, then and only then should you start raising support and making plans to live and serve in New York City for 10 months cycle!
- Lastly, all applicants are considered “on probation” for the first three months of their internship.
How will I know where I am in the process?
Admissions counselors will notify you via email and phone throughout the process.
When does the internship begin and when should I apply?
Cycle: (September 2012 to June 2013)
Will I be guaranteed to start the month that I apply for if I get my application in on time?
In some cases the process takes more than 6-9 months as the result of uncontrollable variables, especially in international cases. You are not guaranteed to start during the month you apply for. If the process isn’t complete by the starting month you applied for, you will be given the option of deferring to the next hiring period, or withdrawing from the process.
How many interns apply and how many do you accept?
We only accept 12-15 applicants for each hiring period. Please note due to limited spots, the selection process is highly competitive.
Who pays for the cost of my visit to YESM?
You are responsible for the cost of your visit, whether or not we accept you into the program. We would encourage you to fly into JFK (John F. Kennedy) or LGA (LaGuardia) New York City
When will I find out if I am approved for the position?
Assuming there are no hold ups in the process, we will be able to tell you one or two months before you’re scheduled to start your internship.
If I am approved for an internship, but there aren’t enough positions open, what happens? This is common in those situations where the process is delayed by uncontrollable variables. If we accept you into the program, but there are no positions available any longer, we will give you the option of deferring to the next hiring period or withdrawing from the process.
This FAQ represents the most recent information concerning requirements, tuition fees and other aspects of Youth Explosion School of Ministry at the time of release. Youth Explosion School of Ministry reserves the right to make changes without prior notice.Download Application Contact: Christ Tabernacle Rafael Castillo 718-386-8882 ext. 253 firstname.lastname@example.org